Get the Rule Book on BoardGameGeek.com
|My translated Jabro rule book, reference sheets, and custom game counters.
Gundam Squad Leader?
|Can you tell which game is which?
Player Turn Sequence – This is nearly identical between the two games. The only differences being that Jabro collapses the Close Combat Phase into the Advancing Fire Phase and that Jabro does not feature the Rout and Advance Phases.
Movement Costs – Jabro’s movement costs are essentially double what Squad Leader’s infantry movement costs are.
Support Weapons – The concept of carried equipment as “support weapons” is nearly identical to Squad Leader, but with set weapon loadouts rather than the concept of portage costs.
Line of Sight – Rules for elevation levels of terrain, height levels of obstacles, and blocking line of sight follow very similar rules in both games.
Morale – Morale in Jabro represents a pilot’s ability to remain conscious. Contrast this to Squad Leader’s typical morale rules for keeping troops in good fighting order. However, the mechanical results are similar. Units often make morale checks to avoid damage (which gives the unusual situation where a pilot must check morale to avoid getting their mobile suit’s legs blasted off with a beam rifle). Jabro does not have the concept of routing.
Defensive Fire During Movement- This is nearly identical in both games.
Breakdown – In Squad Leader, a support weapon breaks if its attack roll equals or exceeds its Breakdown number and broken weapons can later be repaired. In Jabro, a separate breakdown dice roll is needed in addition to the attack roll and once broken, a weapon is destroyed and lost.
Armor Modifiers – Squad Leader’s AFV Armor Modifier to resist damage is very similar to Jabro’s Armor Thickness.
Upgrading the Game Components
|My custom-made counters and carrier
|Three different Zakus, weapons, and pilots
Getting into the game
|Denim's Zaku, with shield and heat hawk axe, gets its arms blasted off with a missile.
- The shooting pilot's shooting skill
- The weapon's hit adjustment
- If the shooting unit is moving
- If the shooting unit is jumping
- If the shooting unit is taking a defensive action
- If shooting at the previous target from last turn
- The target pilot's evasion skill
- The target unit's evasion value
- If the target unit is moving
- If the target unit is jumping
- Target with shield gets to attempt a shield block to add to their unit's armor
- Target in forest modifier
- Target in partial cover modifier
- Target unit's armor thickness
- Target pilot's piloting ability